This exquisitely sumptuous, Grade II* listed, sacred jewel is Brighton’s second most important interior after the Royal Pavilion and among the most beautiful synagogues in Europe. Prepare to be delighted and uplifted!

Opened in 1875 and designed by local architect Thomas Lainson, it is one of the last remaining "cathedral· synagogues" from the Golden Age of High Victorian synagogue architecture, built in the period following formal political emancipation of the Jews in 1858.

The low-key exterior has been described as both Byzantine and Italian Romanesque however walking in through the doors of the synagogue, visitors are transported back in time to a bygone age of elegance and gently uplifted. Suffused by golden light from the stained-glass windows, it is an oasis of calm and tranquility in the centre of the city.

In the words of Dr Sharman Kadish, “Nothing prepares the visitor for the sumptuousness of Middle Street's interior. It is basilican in plan and a riot of marble, brass, mosaic, stenciling, gilding and stained glass, much of it donated by the Sassoon family, the synagogue's chief patrons.” 

 

photos below c. Mark Epstein

LATEST NEWS

Location

66 Middle Street
Brighton
East Sussex
BN1 1AL