About this Course:
This course will run from the 24th April at 7pm and will continue every Monday for 4 weeks, culminating on the 15th May.
By the end of the sessions, participants will have explored:
• The improv concept of ‘accept and build’
• Being grounded and present – ‘in the moment’
• Change and uncertainty as tools for growth, innovation and inclusion
• Effective listening and responding skills
• Our inherent capacity for storytelling
• The positive feelings associated with including others
• How to quieten the inner critic
• Regulating and managing emotions in unpredictable situations
Through fun games and interactive activities, you will get to experience the joys of improv comedy.
What is Improv Comedy?
Improv is a form of theatre in which most or all of what is performed is unplanned or unscripted, created spontaneously by the performers. This course is your masterclass in creating spontaneous comedy, becoming more comfortable trusting yourself and growing your comedic and performance skills.
Improv teaches us how to trust ourselves and others and explore new concepts in a fun and safe way. This is all about learning through joyful interactions and making people around you look and sound brilliant. Improv offers an unbeatable way to:
• Be creative and innovate with others
• Improve your comedic skills
• Confidently respond to change
• Communicate in new and inspiring ways
• Deal with uncertainty
• Reduce fear of ‘getting it wrong’
• Build confidence in your own unique voice
This course is designed to be accessible to anyone – whatever their level of confidence and experience of performance. As a medium, improv has many additional benefits in improving self-confidence, connection, and empathy, as well as reducing social anxiety.
About our Teacher
Ali Hannon is an award-winning comedy performer (Short & Girlie Show, More to Honk With) whose aim is to bring the joy of improv to people who don’t necessarily think improv is for them. Ali has developed a uniquely safe and nurturing teaching practice that is enjoyed by students across the world. They have also performed and trained improv all over the UK, including a nationwide tour, Women in Comedy Festival, Brighton Fringe, and Camden Fringe Festivals, and presented their 5-star show ‘Touch Hunger’ at Brighton Fringe Festival 2021.